Renata Giulia Lucchi
- Full Professor (2018) Abilitazione scientifica Nazionale (ASN)
- Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) in Marine Geosciences at Cardiff University of Wales (United Kindom)
- First degree (MSc equivalent) in Geology at the University of Milan (Italy)
Marine geologist (mainly sedimentology)
- 2018-2021: Adjunt Professor II at CAGE, the Centre for Arctic Gas Hydrate, Environment and Climate, UiT - The Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø (Norway)
- 2010-present: Research scientist at OGS (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e Geofisica Sperimentale),Trieste (Italy);
- 2005-2010: Research scientist at the Department of Stratigraphy, Paleontology and Marine Sciences, University of Barcelona (Spain);
- 2003-2004: Post-doc research fellowship at OGS (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e Geofisica Sperimentale), Trieste (Italy);
- 1998- 1999 and 2000-2001 (with interruption for maternity leave): Post-doc fellowship at the Department of Geological, Environmental and Marine Sciences, University of Trieste (Italy);
- 1994-1997: NERC-PhD student at the Department of Earth Sciences, Cardiff University (United Kingdom);
- 1992-1993: post-graduate research assistant (Prof. M.B. Cita) at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Milan (Italy)
- Sedimentary processes in response to last Quaternary climatic changes on Polar margins (Antarctic and Arctic).
- Sedimentological characterization of gravity mass deposits (turbidites, mega-turbidites, and debris flows): sediment facies analysis and deposits geometry.
- Sedimentary and geological processes associated to convergent plates (mud volcanoes, accretionary prisms).
2012-2018 Italian member of the steering commetee of PAST Gateways (Palaeo-Arctic Spatial and Temporal Gateways), an IASC endorsed network research programme for the study of Cenozoic Arctic environmental/climatic changes http://www.geol.lu.se/pastgateways
During my career I have addressed research related to sediment transport and deposition having a source to sink approach. Although my basic formation is marine sedimentology, I often carried out multidisciplinary research lines by collaborating with other international research groups. These collaborations resulted in the development of knowledge and skills within complementary disciplines such as geochemistry, biostratigraphy, geophysics, and geomagnetism.
- Participant: The development of an Arctic ice stream-dominated sedimentary system: The southern Svalbard continental margin (SVAIS), Spanish IPY activity POL2006-07390/CGL, PI A. Camerlenghi, ICREA-Barcelona, Spain (2007-2009) https://sites.google.com/site/ipynicestreams/svais
- Participant: Corrientes de hielo del Neogeno y procesos sedimentarios en margenes continentales polares (IPY - NICE STREAMS), Spanish IPY activity CTM2009-06370-E/ANT, PI: A. Camerlenghi, ICREA-Barcelona, Spain (2009-2010) https://sites.google.com/site/ipynicestreams/home
- PI: Impact of subglacial meltwater plumes on sediment dispersal, ocean circulation, ecosystems and climate changes (PLUMES), Marie Curie Action, Intra European Fellowship, grant agreement PIEF-GA-2009-254300-PLUMES (2 years, not benefitted due to overlap with present permanent position);
- Co-proponent: Meltwater and plumites at the Storfjorden trough mouth during post-Last Glacial Maximum deglaciation of the Barents Sea Ice Sheet and implication for global oceanic circulation and biota (MELTSTORM), Italian PNRA project, PI: M. Rebesco, OGS-Trieste, Italy (2011-2012);
- Co-proponent: Historia de la deglaciacion del mar de barents norte-occidental en sedimentos marinos de paleo-corrientes de hielo (DEGLABAR), Spanish IPY activity CTM2010-17386, PI: A. Camerlenghi, ICREA-Barcelona, Spain (2010-2013);
- Co-proponent: Salt deformation and sub-salt fluid circulation in the Algero-Balearic abyssal plain (SALTFLU), EU 7th FWP EUROFLEETS project, PI: A. Camerlenghi, ICREA-Barcelona, Spain (2010-2013);
- Co-proponent: Scientific Drilling in Arctic areas: response of the Barents Ice Sheet to global climate change (CORIBAR España). Spain MEC project CTM2011-14807-E. PI: R. Urgeles, ICM-CSIS, Barcelona, Spain (2012-2014).
- Participant: Reconstructing the response of grounded ice sheets and sea ice to climatic changes by coring glacial bedforms and meltwater deposits in the Kveithola trough (CORIBAR). MARUM-Bremen project, co-founded by ICM-CSIC-Barcelona, GEUS-Denmark, OGS-Trieste, University of Tromsø-Norway. PI: T. Hannebut, MARUM, Bremen, Germany. R/V Maria S. Merian oceanographic cruise scheduled by summer 2013.
- PI: Ice dynamics and meltwater deposition in the NW Barents Sea: a 5-Nations effort for MeBo drilling the Arctic (CORIBAR-IT), Italian PNRA project (2014-2016).
- PI: Present and past flow regime on contourite drifts west of Spitsbergen (PREPARED), Eurofleets-2 polar call 2013, accepted with 11 days of ship-time on the R/V G.O. SARS (5-15 June 2014).
- PI: Bottom currents in a stagnant environment (BURSTER), Eurofleets-2 call 2014 PI: M. Rebesco, OGS-Trieste (Italy), accepted with 3 days of ship-time on the R/V POLARSTERN (13-23 June 2016).
- Co-proponent: Anoxic environments in Arctic sediment drifts (AXED), Italian PNRA project, PI: C. Morigi, University of Pisa (2016-2018).
- Glaciations in the Barents Sea area (GlaciBar), co-founded Norwegian Research Council (NRC), StatoilHydro, and Det Norske. PI: K. Andreassen, University of Tromsø, Norway (2008-2010)
- Calabrian Arc marine geophysical experiment study of active deformation and seismic hazard assessment (CALAMARE), PI: A. Polonia, CNR-ISMAR, Bologna (Italy)