2001 – PhD in Geophysics of the Lithosphere and Geodynamics, University of Trieste, Italy. Topic: "Analysis of seismicity patterns as a tool for intermediate-term prediction purposes"
1996 – M.Sc. in Physics. Topic: Geophysics. University of Trieste, Italy.
Since 2018: Senior Technologist at CRS, OGS
2015 – 2018: Seismologist, research fellow at CRS, OGS
2012 – 2015: Research fellow at the Department of Mathematics and Geosciences, University of Trieste.
2011 – 2012: Visiting scientist at ICTP-SAND Group, The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste.
2007- 2010: Researcher at the Department of Geosciences, University of Trieste.
2003 –2007: Research fellow at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Trieste.
2001 –2002: Post-doc research contract at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Trieste.
1998 – 2000: PhD in "Geophysics of the Lithosphere and Geodynamics" at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Trieste.
August - December 1997: Visiting scientist at SAND Group, ICTP, Trieste
January - July 1997: Collaboration contract at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Trieste.
Research interests are ranging from the analysis of spatio-temporal characteristics of seismicity (earthquake occurrence, temporal evolution and space-time correlation) to the implications for seismic hazard assessment, with special attention to issues related with testing and validation of the applied methodologies. Main scientific contributions are related with the following topics:
- Characterization of earthquakes clustering, including swarms and complex sequences, and its possible correlations with structural and tectonic features. Analysis of seismicity and its evolution and correlation at various space and time scales, in tectonic and volcanic areas.
- Application and testing of intermediate-term earthquake forecasting algorithms, using data on past and present seismicity, as well as synthetic catalogs. Operational and validation issues related with earthquakes prediction/forecasting.
- Integration of the information provided by earthquake predictions based on the pattern recognition analysis of seismicity, with the new data provided by Earth Observations (i.e GPS e DInSAR), aimed at reducing the space-time uncertainty of forecasting. Analysis of possible correlations between seismicity and uranium groundwater content.
- Development of an integrated operational procedure for the time-dependent neo-deterministic seismic hazard assessment, based on the computation of synthetic seismograms.
- Study of seasonal and secular climatic modulation of seismic activity.
- Numerical simulation of seismicity in the block structure model of lithosphere dynamics.
- Analysis, integration and updating of earthquake catalogs in several regions of the world (e.g. Algeria, Egypt and whole North Africa, Iran, Vietnam, Italy), including volcanic areas.