- 1989: Laurea (M.Sc.) in Geological Sciences, University of Parma, Italy
- 1996: Dottorato di Ricerca (PhD) in Earth Sciences, University of Parma, Italy
- September 1989 - November 1990 Professional collaboration for report editing (lakes of northern Appennines), Biology institute, University of Parma, Italy
- November 1990 - November1992. EC GEOSCIENCE Program fellowship (Exploration Oriented Seismic modeling and inversion) at OGS
- December 1992 - January 1993. Professional collaboration for seismic interpretation for preparation of ODP proposal n°330. Geology Deparment, University of Milano, Italy
- October 1993 - November 1993. Guest researcher for the interpretation of seismic reflection data on the Pacific margin of the Antarctic Peninsula. British Antarctic Survey (Cambridge, U.K).
- August 1996 - August 2001. Temporary Scientist at OGS
- August 2001 - December 2008. Permanent Scientist at OGS
- January 2009 - date. Permanent Senior scientist at OGS
Geological/geophysical exploration of polar margins, aimed at depositional processes and glacial history reconstruction.
Interacting downslope and alongslope deep sea sedimentary processes.
Integrated Solid Earth System research to:
Contribute to the study of Global Change and paleoclimate in particular, expecially at high (polar) latitudes, either north and south.
Contribute to the study of Geo-Hazards, in particular deep-sea landslisdes and instabilities.
P.I. of Cruise EGLACOM (Evolution of a GLacial Arctic COntinental Margin: the southern Svalbard ice stream-dominated sedimentary system) with R/V OGS-Explora (Kristiansund, Norway, 8 July to Kristiansund, Norway, 4 August 2008) within the activities for the International Polar Year (IPY)
P.I. of Project MELTSTORM (MELTwater, plumites and recessional moraines at the STORfjorden trough Mouth during deglaciation of the Barents Sea Ice Sheet) funded by Italian Program for Research in Antarctica (PNRA). 2011-2012
Participant of project CORIBAR (Reconstructing the response of grounded ice sheets and sea ice to climatic changes by coring glacial bedforms and meltwater deposits in the Kveithola trough). Cruise scheduled in summer 2013, Barents Sea on board R/V Maria S. Merian
Coordinator for OGS of project EUROFLEETS (Towards an Alliance of European Research Fleets). FP7 Research Infrastructures. 2009 - 2013
Coordinator for OGS of project EUROFLEETS2 (New Operational Steeps towards an Alliance of European Research Fleets). FP7 Research Infrastructures. 2013 - 2017
Co-organizer of project 619 (Contourites: processes & products). UNESCO IGCP (International Geoscience Program). 2012-2016
Participant of Project The Quaternary Contourite Log-book: a deep-water record(er) of variability in palaeoclimate, palaeoceanography and deep-water ecosystems. International Union for Quaternary Research (INQUA). 2012 - 2016