1994: Graduate with honours in Natural Sciences at the University of Trieste (thesis: “Distribution of Fucus virsoides (Fucales, Chromophycophyta) in the Gulf of Trieste in relationship to habitat variations”)
1994: ERASMUS fellowship at the Observatoire Oceanographic of Roscoff, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France (course: Biodiverisity in intertidal systems).
1991: ERASMUS fellowship at Gatty Marine Laboratory, St. Andrews University, UK (courses: “Marine and environmental microbiology” and “Physiology of marine organisms”)
Most relevant post graduate courses:
- January 2020: Communication Master Class for the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, UNESCO-IOC, Venice
- November 2019: Training and sharing Best practice in science communication, SISSA - ESOF
- November 2014: Communicating current research with various audiences, JCOM Masterclasses, International Courses of the Journal of Science Communication
- May 2012: "Workshop on Atmospheric Deposition: Processes and Environmental Impacts" I.C.T.P. Miramare, Trieste
- June 2003: “Climate variability studies in the ocean – Tracing and modelling the Ocean variability” I.C.T.P. Miramare, Trieste
- October 2000: “Earth Systems sciences course in watersheds and coastal zone simulation modeling” I.C.T.P Miramare, Trieste
- July 2000: "Processes in the Coastal Zone: links to management issues" at Scuola Internazionale Avanzata "Leonardo da Vinci", Area della Ricerca di Bologna
- September 1998: "International Workshop on the Oceanography of the Adriatic Sea" at I.C.T.P Miramare, Trieste
Research and professional experience:
Since 2017: Researcher at OGS, Division of Oceanography
2006-2017: technologist at OGS, Department of Biological Oceanography, now Division of Oceanography
2002-2006: post-doc researcher at OGS - Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e Geofisica Sperimentale of Trieste, Department of Oceanography (OGA)
1997-2001: researcher at former Istituto Sperimentale Talassografico (now CNR-ISMAR, Trieste)
2001: scientific consultant at WWF – Natural Marine Reserve of Miramare
2000: scientific consultant at Shoreline s.r.l., Area Science Park, Trieste
1995-1997: postgraduate fellowships at CNR – Istituto Sperimentale Talassografico of Trieste
- Faculty Member of the Master in Sustainable Blue Growth, jointly organized by University of Trieste and OGS
- Faculty Member of Erasmus Mundus Master Course on Maritime Spatial Planning, University IUAV of Venice
Partecipation to 3 oceanographic cruises in the northern Atlantic and the Arctic Sea (R/V POLARSTERN-DE, LANCE-NO), 8 cruises in the Adriatic (R/V URANIA, DALLA PORTA) and several field activities in the Gulf of Trieste in the framework of Long Term Ecological Research.
Research fields and interests:
Dialogue science – policy: promoting the dialogue between science and a wide range of stakeholders involved in the implementation of several environmental policies (e.g. Water Framework Directive, Marine Strategy Framework Directive, Maritime Spatial Planning) and in the management of the marine environment.
Biological oceanography: phytoplankton bloom dynamic and long term ecosystem variability in coastal areas; productivity of temperate marine ecosystems (Adriatic Sea, North Balearic Front) and polar areas (Barents Sea, Ross Sea, Magellan Strait) in the framework of several national and international research projects; involved in the study of the effect of acidification on the planktonic ecosystem.
Chemical and physical oceanography: impact of meteorological and biological forcings and of human activities on biogeochemical cycles in the marine environment; chemical oceanography of the central and southern Adriatic Sea; biogeochemical cycles of nitrogen and carbon in the Northern Adriatic Sea; water mass exchanges in the Nordic Seas with chemical tracers, in the framework of global change studies;
Bio-optical oceanography: study of inherent and apparent optical properties in the Gulf of Trieste towards new approach for environmental quality control, bio-optical taxonomy, remote sensing data comparison and towards indirect estimates of primary production;
Applied research: responsible for the implementation of calibration protocols for profiling sensors, mounted on fix platforms for in situ measurements of chlorophyll-a, turbidity, total suspended and dissolved matter and bio-optical properties.
Oceanographic data management: involved in oceanographic data management, in data Quality Control assessment and definition of guidelines for Quality Control of large marine datasets.
2019-2021 MEDREGION (DG ENV)
2018-2019 PORTODIMARE Interreg ADRION Adriatic-Ionian
2013-2021 EMODnet Lot Biology (DG MARE)
2010-2013 ENVeurope – EU Life+ Project
2008-2010 SosteMiTs - Regione FVG
2008-2009 "Ostreopsis" - Ministero dell’Ambiente e della Tutela del Territorio e del Mare
2006 ECOMADR - INTERREG
1997-2000 VEINS “Variability of exchanges in the NordicSeas” - EU funded project
1995-1997 PRISMA I and II – CNR – National Projects