1990 Doktor rer. nat. (PhD): “Mikromorphologische Untersuchungen zur Morphogenese der peniculinen Ciliaten Frontonia atra und Paramecium polycaryum”.
1984 Diplombiologe (Bc. Sc.) at the Eberhard-Karls-Universität, Tübingen; specialization: Protozoology, secondary fields: Biochemistry, Microbiology, Hygiene.
Research and personal experience
Since 2005 working as research scientist, technologist at the Dept. of Biological Oceanography of the Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale - OGS, Trieste, Italy.
Head of the microscopy laboratory and of the culture collection of protists.
2001 – 2005 research scientist at the Laboratorio di Biologia Marina, Trieste - LBM
1991 – 2000 researcher at the Laboratorio di Biologia Marina, Trieste - LBM
1996 invited visiting investigator at the Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples
1994 – present tutor of several ‘first degree thesis’ at the University of Trieste.
Taxonomy, ecology and physiology of marine protists. Special interest for biology of ciliates, toxic and non-toxic dinoflagellates, interactions between microzooplankton, phytoplankton, nano-, and picoplankton.
Isolation, cultivation and physiology of protists, including unicellular algae, mixotrophic and heterotrophic species, loricated and aloricated ciliates. Development of special culture media. Laboratory experiments using protists. Establishment of clonal mass cultures of toxic algae (Alexandrium, Ostreopsis) for the isolation and analysis of algal toxins.
The use of microalgae for biotoxicity tests. Delayed fluorescence for growth monitoring and differentiation of algal strains.
Grazing of microzooplankton in culture experiments and on natural assemblages using the dilution technique.
Light- and electron microscopic methods (TEM, SEM) for the determination and analysis of protists.
- Sviluppo e applicazioni di tecnologie genomiche avanzate per il controllo della contaminazione biotica in mitili destinati al consumo umano: Coordinator of the laboratory experimentation using toxic algae.
- MITILI: Coordinator of experimentation on Mytilus galloprovincialis
- ECOMADR ‘ECOlogia del Mar ADriatico’: Coordinator of experimentation on Mytilus galloprovincialis
- INTERREG III: Coordinator of the work package carbon flux, grazing
- INTERREG II: Coordinator of the work package carbon flux, grazing
- alghe tossiche: Isolation and cultivation of toxic algae
- PRISMA: Coordinator of the work package carbon flux
- Alpe Adria: Microzooplankton