• 2003 - 2005: PhD in Applied Geophysics at University of Trieste
• 1994 - 1995: specialization in Solid State Physics and Numerical Physics in the frame of the «Troisième cicle en Physiqne» at Ecole Politecnique Federale de Losanne (EPFS, Switzerland)
• 1992: Laurea in Physics with laudem.
• Vice-Director of Geophysic Dept.
• 2009: Senior Researcher and head of the Research Group GIANT (Geophysical Integrated Analysis and New Technologies), Geophysic dept.
• Since 1998: Researcher at OGS, permanent position from 2003
• 1996 - 1998: Fellowship at OGS
• 1994 - 1995: Assistant Research of the Physics Laboratory II at the Ecole Politecnique Federale de Losanne (EPFS, Switzerland)
• 1993: Fellowship at National Institute of Material Physics (INFM; Italy)
Since 1996 she is an employed at OGS. In 1998 she received the Cagniard Award for the poster presented at the EAGE Conference. She performed simulation of acoustic wave propagation along the drill string considering the border condition (formation, mud, variable geometry, etc.). She studied the possibility to predict overpressure zones from analysis of seismic, log and laboratory data, by using elastic theories, which relate physical properties of rocks to pore pressure in the frame of EU project. In 2005, she received the Best Poster Presentation at the Near Surface Conference. Presently, she works on gas hydrate topic, considering standard and non-conventional processing of seismic data, such as pre-stack depth migration, Amplitude Versus Offset, seismic inversion, modeling and theoretical models to describe the physical properties of gas hydrate- and free gas-bearing sediments. She developed a procedure to estimate the concentrations of gas hydrate and free gas from seismic and well data. She is/was the leader of several Gas Hydrate Project supported by Italian government, Oil Company and EU. She is the author of many technical reports and papers on gas hydrate topic and she received several invitation to present her work. Moreover, she is active on dissemination of her research.
Keywords: gas hydrate, pore fluid, overpressure, modeling, advanced seismic processing, integrated geophysical approaches, theoretical modeling.
Recently funded research projects relevant to gas hydrate studies (P.I. U. Tinivella):
- Wave Equation Datuming to study IONIO sea – WEDIONIO supported by Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe – PRACE
- Arctic Ocean gas hydrate stability versus changing climate and geohazard (ARCHANGE, 2014-2015). Supported by EU and Regione FVG.
- Wave Equation Datuming versus TOPOgraphy – WEDTOPO supported by Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe – PRACE
- Relationship between climate change and gas hydrate offshore South Shetland Islands (CLISM, 2010- 2012). In collaboration with KOPRI (Korea). Supported by National Program of Research in Antarctica.
- Collaboration of Mapping and Characterization of Gas Hydrate Reservoir in the South Chinese Sea (2010-2012). In collaboration with Geoscience University (China) and supported by Italian-Chinese Governments.
- Integrated analysis of geophysical data to characterize the gas hydrate reservoir offshore South Shetland Margin (IAGARESS, 2007-2009). In collaboration with KOPRI (Korea). Supported by Italian- Korean Governments.
- Mapping and quantification of gas hydrate in selected area of ENI interest (MAQUAI, 2007). Service for Italian Oil company (ENI).
- Integrated analysis of geophysical data to characterize slopes with gas hydrate offshore South Shetland Margin (IGEOS; 2007-2010). In collaboration with KOPRI (Korea). Supported by National Program of Research in Antarctica.
- Gas hydrate: environmental and climate impacts on sub-Antarctic regions (BSR, 2003-2006). The project acquired geophysical data in Antarctica. Supported by National Program of Research in Antarctica.
1) Memorandum of Understanding between U. Tinivella and K. Sain (NGRI – India) to promote bilateral collaboration on gas hydrate studies (2010-2014);
2) Memorandum of Understanding between U. Tinivella e X. Liu (Geoscience University – China) to promote bilateral collaboration on gas hydrate studies (2009-2013);
3) Memorandum of Understanding between OGS e KOPRI (Korea) to collaborate in Antarctica (2007-2011);
4) MoU between OGS and University Andres Bello (Chile);
5) MoU between OGS and Ruder Boskovic Institute (Croatia)
Partecipation to data acquisition:
- Participation to Antarctic acquisition leg on board of Korean icebreaker Araon in proximity of a gas hydrate reservoir (December 2010);
- Participation to 3D land seismic data acquisition in proximity of a mud volcano (Apennines, Italy, 2005);
- Participation to 2D and 3D land data seismic to study aquifer system (Italy, 2005);
- P.I. of Antarctic acquisition (MCS and OBS data, multibeam, chirp, gravity core, CTD) leg to study gas hydrate (2004);
- Participation to Antarctic leg for crustal purposes (2004);
- Participation to seismic acquisition to characterize the shallow structures in Friuli Region (Italy) for seismic hazard (2004);
- Participation to Antarctic leg for crustal and gas hydrate studies (1997).
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
2005 Best Poster Presentation Award at the Near Surface Conference, 11th European EAGE Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics.
1998 Cagniard Award for the best poster presented at the 60st European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE) Conference.
1996-1998 Fellowship Geophysics Department, OGS (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale), Italy
1993 Fellowship National Institute of Material Physics (INFM), Italy
SUPERVISION OF GRADUATE STUDENTS AND POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS
2018 - 1 Thesis (Giulia Alessandrini) in collaboration with University of Bologna
2017 1 Thesis (Francesco Turco) in collaboration with Univeristy of Trieste
2016 - 1 Ph.D (Matilde Ferrante) in collaboration with University of Trieste
2015 - 1 Ph.D (Song Sha) and 1 master (Stefano Visintin) in collaboration with University of Padua
2014 – 2015 Postdoc at OGS about gas hydrate research in Arctic, OGS, Italy (H. Marin-Moreno)
2013 - Tutor of a stage (3 months) at OGS (S. Buenz)
2011 Diploma in Environmental Engineering, University of Trieste, Italy (M. Gili)
2006-2011 2 PhD in Environmental Science, University of Trieste, Italy (I. Vargas-Cordero, D. Accettella)
2007-2009 Fellowship at International Center of Theoretical Physics, Italy (I. Vargas-Cordero)
2005-2007 Fellowship to study gas hydrate in Antarctica, OGS, Italy (M.F. Loreto)
2004-2006 1 Marie Curie Fellowship (D. Praeg) and 1 European grant in the frame of EURODOM, OGS (C. Neagu)
1999 Master in Geophysics, University of Trieste (F. Donda)
2015 (2 week) Course on Geophysical methods, University Andres Bello, Chile
2014 (1 week) Course on Elastic Properties of Rocks, University of Geosciences, China
2014 (1 week) Course on Gas hydrates in natural environment: from climate change to possible energy of the future, in the frame of KEP project, OGS, Italy
2013 (10 days) Organization and participation Training School: “Permafrost and gas hydrate related methane release in Arctic and impact on climate change”, Finland
2012 (2 weeks) Course on the use of Seismic Unix and software ISTRICI (my code created to analyze CIG), University of Geosciences, China
2011 (2 days) Lessons PhD course in Geosciences: “Elastic properties of the rocks: AVO and theoretical approaches” and “Gas hydrate: from climate change to possible future energy”, University of Trieste, Italy
2010 (2 weeks) Course on the use of GeoDepth (Paradigm Geophysical) at Barcelona Center for Subsurface Imaging (CSIC), Spain
2010 (1 day) Lesson:”An approach to characterize the gas hydrate reservoir by geophysical analysis”, PUCRS-PETROBRAS, Porto Alegre, Brasil
2009 (2 weeks) Course on the use of Seismic Unix and software ISTRICI (my code created to analyze CIG), National Geophysical Research Institute, India
2007 (1 week) Lessons about the method used to analyze the seismic data in order to estimate the gas hydrate and free gas concentrations, Institute of Acoustics (Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing), Department of Geophysics and Information Technology (China University of Geosciences, Beijing), and University of Science and Technology (Qingdao, China)
2005 (3 days) Lessons in the frame of collaboration between Italy and Georgia: “3D seismic”, “Integrated analysis of geophysical methods” and “Petrophysical properties of the rocks”
2004 (1 week) Partecipation and organization School on “Processing of multichannel seismic data”, OGS, Italy
ORGANISATION OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
2014-2019 Member of Programme Committee of the 12th, 13th and 14th Offshore Mediterranean Conference & Exhibition (OMC 2015, 2017, 2019), Italy
2013 Section: “Seismic Imaging - Theory I”, EAGE, Grain Britain
Section:”Applied Geophysics for environmental management: methodological developments and practical experiences”, GEOITALIA, Italy
2012 Section: “Carbonate Petrophysics”, EAGE, Denmark
2012/2013 Section: “Shallow and deep seismic”, GNGTS, Italy
2010 Section: “Gas-hydrates, petroleum and coal - Resources and hazards”, EGU, Vienna, Austria
Member of Scientific Committee of Fiery Ice Workshop, New Zealand
2009 Workshop: “Energy From Methane Hydrates – Resource Potential and Technology Challenges, OMC, Italy
2008 Section: “Gas hydrates”, AOGS, Korea
2007 Workshop Italy-Korea to promote bilateral collaboration, Italy
2005/07/09 Sections: “Gas hydrate from environmental impact to a possible energy resource”, GEOITALIA, Italy
2005 Section “Seismic characterization of the local response with geophysical methods”, GNGTS, Italy
2016 - Vice-Director of Geophysic Dept. (OGS)
2012 - Member of Executive Committee of Italian EAGE-SEG Section
Member of Scientific Committee of PhD courses, University of Padua, Italy,
Member of Committee on Equal Opportunities, OGS, Italy
2005 – 2012 Member of Administrative committee, OGS, Italy
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
2018 - Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Geofluids
2018 - Lead Guest Editor of special publication: “Gas Hydrate. Environmental and Climate Impacts”, Geosciences
2014 - Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Geography, Environment and Earth Science International and International Journal of Geophysics and GeoChemistry
2013 - Member of Editorial Board of The Scientific World Journal
Scientific Evaluator, Ministry of Education, University and Research, Italy
Lead Guest Editor of special publication: “Geophysical Methods for Environmental Studies”, International Journal of Geophysics”
2012 - Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Geological Research and American Chemical Science Journal
2011 Lead Guest Editor of special publication: “Gas Hydrate on Continental Margins”, Journal of Geological Research
2008 - 2014 Member of Editorial Board of The Open Paleontology Journal
MEMBERSHIPS OF SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
2015 – 2019 Management Committee of the EU-COST project and leader of the WG3 “Environmental challenges”): MIGRATE - Marine gas hydrate - an indigenous resource of natural gas for Europe
2013 - 2017 Participation to EU-COST project: Impact of Fluid circulation in old oceanic Lithosphere on the seismicity of transfOrm-type plate boundaries: neW solutions for early seismic monitoring of major European Seismogenic zones (FLOWS)
2008 – 2013 Management Committee of the EU-COST project: PERGAMON - Permafrost and gas hydrate related methane release in Arctic and impact on climate change: European cooperation for long-term monitoring