There are, associated with the Scientific Committee, 7 members who have a high scientific profile:
- Niels Peter Christensen, Gassnova (Norwegian State company for the capturing and geological storage of CO2);
- Catherine Boyen, Station Biologique CNRS UPMC, Laboratoire de Biologie Intégrative des Modèles marins;
- Antoon Kuijpers, Department of Marine Geology and Glaciology of GEUS (Geological Service of Denmark and Greenland);
- Serge A. Shapiro Geophysics, Department of Earth Sciences - Freie Universitat Berlin
- Alessandro Crise, OGS - Division of Oceanography;
- Renzo Mosetti, OGS - Division of Oceanography;
- Giuliana Rossi, OGS - Division of Seismology.
The Scientific Council is called upon to express its opinion on the 10-year-Document of Strategic Overview (DVS) and the 3-year-Plan of Performance (PTA), on the scientific and technological organization of the Institution and—when required—on every other topic of scientific character of relevance for the Institution, by formulating proposals and recommendations, also in view of favoring the European and international dimension of research, and of stimulating innovation and transferral to the productive field.